Our Service Portfolio is designed for anyone responsible for building and operating telecommunication and broadcast sites
Over 30 years of Customer Satisfaction
Varcon Incorporated Was Founded In 1987 To Service The Growing Needs Of The Communication And Broadcast Industries. Since Its Incorporation, The Company Has Become An Industry Leader In The Provision Of Quality Communication Site Engineering, Inspection, Construction & Project Management Services.
Our work does not end with delivery of the report. We remain available to answer the client’s questions, and we keep the information handy so that follow-up analyses can be performed quickly and efficiently.
Varcon has analyzed several thousand tower structures across Canada ranging from large, older, heavily loaded structures to small, newer, sparsely loaded masts—including mobile towers. As a major component of our service portfolio, we ensure that the structural analysis provided to tower owners is second to none.
This assessment includes special software and hand calculations to verify structural capacity for design load considerations. Tower drawings and structural mappings are used to assess whether the tower meets the strength requirements of the most recent codes and standards. When accurate drawings are unavailable, Varcon can complete detailed in-field structural mapping of towers to obtain the required information for structural analysis.
Our talented engineering personnel utilize state of the art computer aided drafting techniques to present clear and innovative design solutions for your civil works requirements. in particular, Varcon engineers and technologists have extensive design experience related to towers and other communication and broadcast site infrastructure. our designs incorporate a thorough knowledge of applicable codes and standards.
Although tower fabricators have an assortment of pre-designed towers, it is advisable for purchasers to have a tower designed to their specific requirements. By doing this, a purchaser ensures the tower is neither inadequately engineered nor overbuilt, saving time, money and frustration with respect to reinforcing or unnecessary capacity. Varcon Inc. can design a tower that meets your unique requirements.
If you are purchasing a tower (or have just purchased a tower) and are interested in its structural integrity, having the tower design review completed by Varcon engineering consultants is an effective way of ensuring your new tower meets the parameters outlined by structural standards, fabricators and suppliers. Varcon Inc. has the knowledge and experience to review tower designs to verify their structural integrity and capacity. Our independent status ensures you get unbiased results-focused solely on your best interests.
To ensure a tower continues to provide its owners and users with necessary capacity and services, tower reinforcements and upgrades are often required. Varcon Inc. will help you reinforce your tower in a cost and time efficient manner. We will only suggest what is necessary given public safety requirements and interests of the tower owner. As well, we have the industry knowledge to recommend reputable suppliers of required reinforcements.
Our overall goal while designing structural modifications is to minimize the amount of upgrades and to use techniques that reduce the cost of fabrication and installation. While upgrades can be an excellent way to increase revenue by extending tower capacity, they can also be an unnecessary or wasteful investment when upgrades are over-designed. Because we are not affiliated with tower fabricators or erection contractors we have no vested interest in recommending unnecessary remedial or reinforcement work.
- Permit Design
- Anchor Design
- Foundation Design
- Antenna Mount Design
- Special Attachment Design
- Ice Shield Design
- Fall Protection System Design
- Communication Equipment Shelter Design
- Site Layout & Access Road Design
Varcon Inc. is not affiliated with any tower manufacturer, supplier or erector. As such our clients can be assured of independent, unbiased engineering and inspection services. All field inspections involve on-site visits by qualified Varcon engineering personnel and are complemented with detailed inspection reports, complete with observations, measurements, recommendations, high quality digital photos and detailed CAD drawings. The final reports are presented in a clear and concise format that allows the client to navigate the contents quickly and easily.
Several key inspections for new and existing towers include:
- 3rd party progress inspections to ensure quality control during construction
- 3rd party foundation inspections during construction (critical aspect of the tower owners quality control)
- 3rd party post-installation acceptance inspections to ensure the installation work is completed in accordance with contract documents
- CSA prescribed maintenance inspections for existing structures to monitor tower condition and provide recommendations for identified concerns
- Inspections for antenna and transmission line inventories or structural mapping
- Investigation of tower failures/collapses, deterioration and other performance problems
- Underground cathodic protection and corrosion assessments
- Antenna alignment verification and adjustment (utilizing specialized equipment
Regular Inspections By Us
- Protect both the public and company personnel who may be near the tower
- Improve the confidence of third party users
- Minimize liabilities and provide defense for due diligence by identifying areas of concern and recommending remedial work to address these deficiencies
- Identify threats before they affect service levels
- Increase the useful lifespan of the relevant structure
- May decrease insurance premiums
- Clearly demonstrate a good, proactive management practice
Construction & Project Management
- Providing all materials, labor, equipment and services.
- Subcontracting with various trade and specialty contractors
- Applying for or assisting in the application process for building permits
- Monitoring schedule and cash flow
- Maintaining accurate records
- Ensuring a safe and secure project site
Varcon can help with all your Project Management tasks. Our team works on multiple site projects, with involvement from conceptual planning and cost estimates to final commissioning. We can deliver on any single element of the new site process or manage the entire project – depending on the desires of our client.
Varcon has an experienced team to oversee jobs from maintenance and overlays, to turn key builds. Our clients can expect jobs to be completed on time, on budget and without issue. Reach out to us today to discuss how we can help
Varcon has developed a specialized team of stress analysts that perform high fidelity analysis and simulation. Our team members have a range of backgrounds from aircraft landing gear and airframe stress analysis to computational modeling of seismic dampers.
- Weld Stress Analysis & Sizing
- Analysis of Bolted Joints Subject to Static & Cyclic Loading
- Bolt Pattern Analysis
- Ultimate and Limit Failure Modes
- Prying Determination in Bolted Joints
- Load Derivations
In Building Design
Varcon has built its own saftey code 6 software to ensure the final design is compliant. Pre site visits to confirm routing and any electrical, building, and structural designs needed.